This recipe is one of our favorites for the trail! Super easy to put together before your trip and even easier to prepare once you are on the trail. Our recipes require dehydrated vegetables. If you don’t dehydrate your own, check the link below. Enjoy!
- 3 ounces of crushed chuka soba noodles
- 1/4 cup of dehydrated black beans
- 1 tablespoon of diced dehydrated tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of diced dehydrated bell peppers
- 1 teaspoon of dehydrated corn
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of creole seasoning
- 1/2 chicken (vegetable) bouillon cube
How to prep ingredients:
Crush the chuka soba noodles into 1/4 inch pieces. To do this, use your blender! Place all the ingredients together in a plastic storage bag for the trail.
How to cook on the trail:
Bring 1.5 cups of water to a boil. Add all of the ingredients to the pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally. Let sit for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Making your own backpacking meals is super easy and super cheap (at least by comparison to off-the-shelf dehydrated meals at $8 each). Harmony House has a dehydrated vegetable sampler pack which has a ton of ingredients and will make a bunch of backpacking meals.